We are now enrolling individuals into this 18-month project!
Please review the following information and complete the screener at the bottom of the page to see if you qualify.
Who can participate?
You may be eligible to participate if you are:
- Aged 18 years or older
- Want to lose weight and have a body mass index (BMI) >30 (view this link to calculate your BMI)
- Not pregnant or breastfeeding
- Willing to participate in an 18-month healthy lifestyle program
- Have a smartphone with data and texting plan
- Able to download apps and connect to a video call on a smartphone, tablet, or computer with a video camera and microphone
- Willing to attend in-person weight and blood pressure measurement visits every 6 months
- If you are willing to participate for the full 18-months and you meet the eligibility needs for the project, you will receive:
- Online group classes and one-on-one calls with a Registered Dietitian, a wireless scale to measure your weight, and a physical activity tracker at no cost to you ($1520 value)
What do I need to do to enroll?
- Complete the online screener
- Complete a final screening telephone call
- Attend a 90-minute, in-person enrollment visit either in Madison, WI or Durham, NC
What does participation involve?
- Participate in online group classes and telephone calls about nutrition, physical activity, and habit building*
- Attend weight and blood pressure measurement visits in Madison, WI or Durham, NC
- Log your calories in a cell phone app and weigh yourself regularly
- For UW:
- Monday - Thursday | 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- For Duke:
- Monday | 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- Tuesday | 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- Thursday | 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.; 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
You must be available for all class times to participate. You will be assigned at random to participate one weekday every other week.
Ready to see if this study is right for you?
UW-Madison is not enrolling participants at this time, but will start enrollment again in January 2022. Click here if you want to be contacted when recruitment starts again.
Duke University is currently enrolling participants who live in North Carolina! Click the button below to access the online screener.